Monday, March 8, 2010

Cooking Techniques

No one ever actually taught me how to cook, I sort of watched, listened and picked up things here and there over the years. Granny, Aunt Emma and my Mother were the influences and the the root of everything I know how to prepare. I have developed my own cooking technique. Everyone who enjoys cooking does. It's really just like anything else, the more you do it, the better you get. Don't be afraid to experiment.

All my recipes are in my head. I only measure ingredients when I'm using someone's recipe. Here I am writting this blog about cooking and sharing my recipes and I've never written any recipe down. I'll just do the best I can. The real reason for this blog is to help the people who are intimidated by the thought of having to cook. Also for those who want to learn how to cook, but are overwhelmed at all the information and gadgets. Everything I prepare is simple, basic, relatively quick and easy. My way of cooking reflects the styles of Paula Dean and the Neely's on the Food Network. Just good ole down home Southern cookin'.

I'm thinking about my gravy recipe for the next post. I only know of one way to make it so it should be a short, simple recipe.

A sudden thought! Gravy is not so much about the recipe or ingredients, but the technique of putting it all together and having it turn out the way it should. Technique matters as much as any ingredient. The only way to develope your technique is to cook and cook often.

No comments:

Post a Comment